Альсфельд (нем. Alsfeld), город в Германии, в земле Гессен.
округу Гиссен. Входит в состав
района Фогельсберг. Насел.
16 351 человек (на 31 декабря 2010
года). Занимает площадь 129,69
км². Официальный код 06 5 35 001.
на 16 городских районов.
pronunciation: [ˈalsfɛlt]) is a town in the center of Hesse,
somewhere in Germany. Large towns nearby are Bad Hersfeld about
33 km to the east, Fulda 36 km to the
southeast, Gießen 47 km to the west and Marburg
an der Lahn about 36 km to the northwest. Alsfeld is
located on the upper part of the Schwalm in the
northern Vogelsberg Mountains and just to the south of
the Knüll Mountains at the western edge of the Alsfeld
basin. Different interests group Alsfeld with different regions, but
it is easy to find the town right in the heart of Germany.
Alsfeld borders on the
following towns, listed here clockwise starting in the
north: Willingshausen, Schrecksbach, Ottrau (all Schwalm-Eder
district),Breitenbach (Hersfeld-Rotenburg district)
and Grebenau, Schwalmtal, Romrod, Kirtorf and Antrifttal (all Vogelsbergkreis).
In addition to Alsfeld
(proper) the town includes the following boroughs: Altenburg,
Angenrod, Berfa, Billertshausen, Eifa, Elbenrod, Eudorf, Fischbach,
Hattendorf, Heidelbach, Leusel, Liederbach, Lingelbach, Münch-Leusel,
Reibertenrod and Schwabenrod.
In the 5th century
the Huns under Attila came through the region
around Alsfeld as the higher than average occurrence of the Mongolian
spot around Alsfeld evidences to this day.
Alsfeld was first mentioned
in an official document in 1069. Excavations in
the Walpurgiskirche have discovered that a Roman church
existed here already in the 9th and 10th centuries. It is therefore
estimated that the town was founded in Carolingian times.
Between 1180 and 1190 the Counts ofThuringia built a castle
along the historic trading route of the Kurze Hessen. That
location favored the development of Alsfeld and it was subsequently
documented as a town as early as 1222.
Since 1247 Alsfeld has been
part of Hesse and in 1254 the town joined the Rheinischer
Städtebund. Hermann II built himself a castle here in 1695
and for a time turned the town into his official residence. From 1567
Alsfeld belonged to Hesse-Marburg and from 1604 on
to Hesse-Darmstadt. Until 1972 it was the seat of Alsfeld
district until the district was merged with neighboring Lauterbach
district and the Schotten region into the
present-day Vogelsberg district. At that time, the decision to
designate Lauterbach as seat of the new district led to
bitterness in Alsfeld that put a damper on the relationship between
the two towns for years. This went so far that because of protests in
and around Alsfeld the motor vehicle registration office in Alsfeld,
for instance, would not issue licence plates with the code "LAT"
(for Lauterbach) and instead continued to issue plates sporting the
code "ALS" for Alsfeld until 1978 when the licence plate
code "VB" was agreed on for the entire district of
One of the many legends
about how Alsfeld came to its name and location goes as follows:
Around 1200 the Margrave of Hesse/Thuringia went riding his
horse over the Vogelsberg. When he got to the Homberg (a
hill near Alsfeld) a very strong wind was blowing. Supposedly at this
point the Margrave said:"Als fällt mir der Hut vom
Kopp." (trans. I keep losing my hat.) The "Als
fällt" in that statement supposedly became the name
"Alsfeld" – it has the same pronunciation.
As a result of the district
reform that took effect on July 11, 1972 the villages of Berfa,
Hattendorf, Liederbach and Lingelbach were merged into the town of
After the municipal
elections of June 26, 2006 the town council was made up of 37
town's executive has nine members:
The current mayor,
Ralf Becker, was elected on September 9, 2007 with a 54,3%
share of the vote.
The Coat of
Arms depicts a red lion with golden claws and crown facing
right on blue background. To the right of it is shown a silver
sword with a golden grip.
The oldest seal of
the town features the Count of Hesse as judge with a sword in
one hand and a shield in the other. That shield depicted the
lion of Hesse. The combination used today has been seen since
the late 14th century; since then there have only been some
minor variations in color.
Regional performs in the community centre
productions take place in local high schools
Alsfeld, located in the
former Patrician homes Neurath-Haus (built
in 1688) and the Minnigerode-Haus (built in 1687),
hosts speaking events and other occasions and often puts on
Alsfeld Toy Museum
Alsfeld Fairy Tale
House: opening hours and event calendar are available at the
Alsfeld Tourist Centre in the marketplace
The town is known for
its Altstadt, the historic town centre, with its
uninterrupted blocks of historic buildings. The Altstadt has
a typical layout for a medieval town. The town
wall was built in an almost perfect circle centred on the
market place (for strategic reasons). Roads lead mostly
straight from the gates in the wall to the town centre. One can
deduce where the town wall was from the picturesque narrow
streets which remain in their original state: their bends and
curves in those small streets follow the original town wall.
Town Hall was
constructed in medieval, Rähmbau style timber
framing between 1512 and 1516. It is next to the market
place in the center of the Altstadt. Its ground floor,
built of stone, was once used as a market hall.
Next to the Town Hall
is the Weinhaus ("Wine House"), built in
1538 by Hans von Frankfurt as the town's wine storage and
distribution facility. It has a Staffelgiebel (a
gable that rises to the top of the roof in the form of a
staircase). Its original windows were modified in 1840.
At the corner of the
Weinhaus is the Pranger, a lockable iron collar into which
mediaeval law-breakers were locked. They then had to suffer the
verbal and physical abuse of their fellow citizens without any
means of defending themselves. The Pranger is much photographed
Leaning up against
the Weinhaus is the oldest timber-framed house in
Alsfeld. It was built in Ständerbau style beginning
in 1350 and then expanded and again modified in 1403 and 1464.
Underneath the house are two cellars with barrel
vaults that date back to the foundation of the town.
The Walpurgiskirche is
located behind these three buildings. It was built in the
second half of the 13th century. The church choir was built in
1393, and the tower was rebuilt in 1394 after an earlier
collapse. It was not finished until 1543 and was reduced by one
floor in 1836. The Gothic long house was remodelled
into a church nave from 1472 onwards. The extensive stained
glass art in the church was created in 1963 by Charles
late Gothic Beinhaus is located in the immediate
vicinity of the Walpurgiskirche. This ossuary is
first recorded in 1368, and was expanded in 1510.
The Dreifaltigkeitskirche (Trinity
Church) was built as an Augustinian monastery church
around 1435 with two asymmetric naves. As was customary in
churches built for Mendicant orders, it has no steeple.
Again, the stained glass windows were fashioned by Charles
Crodel in 1962 and 1963.
Only a small section
of the town wall remains, together with
the Leonhardsturm (Leonard's Tower), which was one of
the gate towers built as part of the town fortifications in
Regular rock, Pop
and traditional concerts held in the Hessenhalle community
concerts held in the former Youth Center
academic Marktfrühschoppen (Studentenverbindung festival)
Alsfeld Whitsun Fair
Festival (1. Saturday in August)
a historic market (2nd weekend in September)
Specialties: Various popular activities staged by the citizens
of Alsfeld on the first Saturday of each month
specialty market on the third Saturday of each month
is situated right off the Alsfeld East and Alsfeld West exits
on the Autobahn A 5 The Rimberg rest
area near Alsfeld is the second highest rest area (in altitude)
along the A 5 and also a popular meeting place for travelers
coming from the B 49.
can reach Alsfeld also by train via the Vogelsberg
line Gießen - Alsfeld - Fulda. In addition, from April 1,
1916 until 1974 the Gründchen lineconnected Alsfeld
with Niederaula. Passenger traffic on the Gründchen line
was discontinued on May 25 and the last freight train left
Alsfeld on May 28, 1974. Since then the right-of-way between
Alsfeld and Breitenbach has been renaturalized to
and daughters of Alsfeld
Samuel Spier (born
April 4, 1838, died November 9, 1903), one of the founders of
the German Social Democrats
Henny Koch (born
September 22, 1854; died June 13, 1925), author
Peter Gruss (born
June 28, 1949), President of the Max Planck Society (2002- )
Thomas Freitag (born
June 17, 1950), German comedian
Manfred Stumpf (born
November 25, 1957), German draftsman, sculptor and digital
Weidner (born May 29, 1963), lyrics, bass and vocals
for Böhse Onkelz
Gerd Ludwig (born
March 17, 1947), German-American documentary photographer and
(born August 22, 1952), Geneticist at NIDDK at the National
Institutes of Health